Mom Hack of the Day
Top 10 Safest Sunscreens
for Your Kids
High SPF, Waterproof, and "doesn't sting" used to be our selection method for kids sunscreen.
Until we had a severe allergy to a common sunscreen ingredient Oxybenzone and learned:
- Oxybenzone is a hormone-disrupting compound that penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream. It was found in 97% of 2500 people 6 yrs+ tested.
- This potentially quite harmful chemical hasn't been adequately studied
- The FDA has yet to finalize regulations for sunscreens, promised since 1978!
- The Environmental Working Group tested 1,000 sunscreens. Over 90% either contained harmful chemicals or didn't protect skin as well as promised on the package.
- Our favorite brand, a popular children's sunscreen scored very badly.
- See below for Top 10 Safest Sunscreens and which chemicals to avoid
- Check how your sunscreen scores at EWG
- Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate)
- Added insect repellent
- SPF above 50+
- Titanium dioxide
- Mexoryl SX
- Broad-spectrum protection
- SPF 30+
Top 10 Safest and Most Effective SunscreensAs rated by EWG. Many can be found at Whole Foods, REI, Amazon, and Drugstore.com. All contain the minerals Zinc or Titanium
- Badger Sunscreen Face Stick, SPF 30, Unscented
- Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, SPF 30 Lightly Scented
- Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, Unscented, SPF 30
- California Baby Sunblock Stick No Fragrance, SPF 30+
- Loving Naturals Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Purple Prairie Botanicals Sun Stick, SPF 30 (Unavailable)
- Purple Prairie Botanicals SunStuff, SPF 30 (Unavailable)
- Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Soleo Organics Atlantis Resort All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Soleo Organics Wyland Organics All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
MamaLovesLists.com accepts no payment of any kind for products reviewed
Become a Fan on FaceBook & Follow us on Twitter
to automatically find out when new Lists are published!
© Mama Loves Lists